Manchester Corporation started to build a new housing estate in Woodhouse Park in 1950 and young families were re-located to the new estate from Hulme and Moss Side. Woodhouse Park formed part of Wythenshawe, the largest municipal housing estate in Europe at the time (approximately 70,000 residents). Dr Humphrey Thomas started a new practice in a terraced house in Carsdale Road in 1951 and was soon joined by Dr Ray Ormerod. Together they built new premises in Braintree Road and established an expanding practice through excellent medical and pastoral care. They were joined in 1955 by Dr Geoffrey Jessup.
Following Dr Thomas’s retirement Dr Ormerod and Dr Jessup were joined in 1966 by their wives Dr Jean Ormerod and Dr Margaret Jessup.
Dr Ray Ormerod established GP training within the Practice when specialist GP training commenced in the late 1960s. The practice’s commitment to training new doctors was further enhanced when Dr Geoffrey Jessup became GP training course organiser for South Manchester and Dr Jean Ormerod became a trainer in Family Planning.
Dr Ray Ormerod retired in mid 1983 to be replaced by Dr Waterhouse. Dr Margaret Jessup retired in February 1985. Although the population of Woodhouse Park declined in the 1980s and 90s there was no significant decrease in workload as Wythenshawe is an area with high levels of illness and deprivation and we continued to attract elderly patients through Dr Jean Ormerod’s reputation amongst the elderly.
1992 saw the retirement of Dr Jean Ormerod, the last of the original partners, the arrival of Dr Ream and the building of new premises. The 1990s was a period of great change in General Practice and also Cornishway Practice, with several doctors joining the Practice for short periods. Despite this we computerised the Practice, increased the range of services we offered by employing additional staff, expanded into undergraduate medical student teaching & re-started GP training.
The Practice has always strived to provide high quality care. In 2001 we took other important decisions to invest in the future. We appointed an excellent practice manager (Ms Janice Langley), two practice nurses & in 2003 took over a neighbouring GP practice that had become vacant.
The new millennium has also seen significant improvement in the Practice. Six excellent, committed young doctors (Drs Postlewhite, Wadhwa, Mole, Ashworht & Iles) have joined the Practice. This is particularly pleasing as all of them trained in the Practice. This rapid expansion of staffing levels meant we outgrew our 1992 premises and in 2006 we moved and joined the wider primary health care team in a large new health centre at Wythenshawe Forum.
Changes to medical education have encouraged all doctors to spend four months training in general practice after qualification. At times we may have the full range of trainees in the practice from medical students and Foundation year doctors through to Specialist Trainees years 1 to 3 (Registrar). We are very fortunate to have patients who have willingly given their time and cooperation over many years to assist in this training. A big thank you to you all.
We are always looking to improve and innovate. We are currently looking at ways to improve telephone access, appointments and repeat prescriptions. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our service please contact Mrs Langley.